This Posts may contain affiliate links. This means we earn a commission from sales made via product links in this post. For more information click here.
Your children need lots of time with you in order to connect. The great thing is that your children just want to be with you. They don’t need expensive activities (although sometimes it’s nice to surprise them with something special) they just want to play. Children are experts in play, so one of the easiest things to do is to simply join in.
When my boys were young I found that the simplest activities were often the ones they enjoyed the most. This made it really easy to grab some time together.
Here is a list of some VERY simple things to do with your children. None of them require any preparation and many of them don’t need any equipment. There are a few suggestions that need one or two things, but you should be able to find most of them around the house.
- Go outside and play with a ball
- Lie in the grass and find pictures in the clouds
- Blow bubbles
- Play hopscotch
- Turn cartwheels
- Climb a tree
- Jump in puddles
- Have a dance party
- Roll down a grassy bank
- Play a pen and paper game
- Chew bubble gum and see who can blow the biggest bubble
- Teach your kids how to make “interesting” noises with a hand under the armpit (yes I know, but it never fails to impress!)
- Tell corny jokes
- Sing along to your kid’s favorite songs at the top of your lungs
- Make a yarn circle, take it outside, place it on the ground and look carefully. What do you see? Move the circle somewhere else. What else do you see? If you have a magnifying glass bring it along
- Read a story
- Have a tickle fight
- Make mud pies
- Grab some pots and pans and form an impromptu marching band
- Have a water fight
Now it’s your turn. What simple activities do you enjoy with your children? Do you have any tried and true activities that don’t take a lot of preparation? Please leave a comment below.
Photo credit: Splash by Scooter Lowrimore