This Posts may contain affiliate links. This means we earn a commission from sales made via product links in this post. For more information click here.
Delight your family with a cup of decadent hot chocolate. Here are seven delicious recipes to help get you through the winter. There is something for everyone, including dairy free and vegan options. Is there anything better than a cup of homemade chocolatey goodness?
A little taste of heaven
When I was a child my mom or dad would often make us hot cocoa. I can still remember that creamy chocolaty flavor. It was a little taste of heaven.
Hot chocolate was also part of my boy’s childhood. It is the perfect drink to serve on a cold day. Somehow that chocolaty goodness warms you right down to your toes.
I often made it to welcome them home after school. The great thing about a warm drink is that you can’t drink it too fast, so it gave us lots of time to chat. Sneaky huh?
For the past week northern Alberta has been shivering through freezing temperatures and extreme wind chill warnings. It seemed like the perfect time to feature some delicious hot chocolate recipes. Just looking at the pictures makes me feel warmer!
I know that some of my readers are sweltering in summer weather right now (I wish) and the last thing you want is a hot drink. Don’t fear I have also included a recipe for a frosty chocolate drink.
For those of you enjoying summer: 7 Frozen Treats To Make For Your Kids This Summer
There are literally hundreds of recipes to be found. Here’s my top seven.
7 hot chocolate recipes to get you through the winter
- Nutella hot chocolate – I think this might just be the beverage they serve in heaven.
- For those of you in warmer climes here’s a recipe for iced chocolate.
- Ditch the packet and hot water, and make fancy hot chocolate with real chocolate. The great thing about this recipe is that you can use your favorite fairly traded chocolate bar.
- If you are a dairy free house hold, Minimalist Baker, one of my favorite food blogs has a killer vegan hot chocolate recipe made with almond milk
- I want to try this one made with coconut milk
- For the grown ups we have a boozy skinny hot chocolate that contains Amaretto and less than 100 calories
- If you like the combination of mint and chocolate you might want to try this peppermint hot chocolate from No. 2 Pencil
Make hot chocolate a special event
If you are looking for a special family activity, why not head outside for some winter fun and then warm up with a hot chocolate bar.
You could provide some some yummy dipping spoons like these from Manda J
And set out a variety of toppings such as
- Whipped cream (dairy or coconut)
- Crushed peppermint sticks
- Cocoa powder
- Cinnamon sticks
- Mini marshmallows
I’d love to hear from you. Is hot chocolate part of your winter? What is your favorite kind?