This Posts may contain affiliate links. This means we earn a commission from sales made via product links in this post. For more information click here.
Are you looking for an easy outdoor activity? Land art for kids a great way to get children outside and away from their screens. It’s a great family project and you’ll be amazed by your kids creativity and ideas. All you need is your imagination and some found natural materials.
Land art is easy and fun and can be done by anyone. Basically it involves making sculptures and art from things you might find in nature, such as pebbles, rocks, twigs, sand, pine cones, shells, seed heads, leaves. These things can be made into mandalas, spirals, shapes, animals, or patterns…. the possibilities are endless.
- Learn about nature; explore its wonders, and develop a deeper understanding of the interconnection of creation and your place within it.
- Get outside and away from technology for a while.
- Exercise your creativity and imagination.
But best of all it will help you s-l-o-w down the pace of life and enjoy some time in the fresh air as a family. As you create art together you will have many opportunities to connect and build memories. It is also free!
You will need
- Your imagination
- A camera is nice, but not necessary.
- Somewhere to explore: a park, the woods, a beach, or even your backyard.
- Explore your chosen location. Take a good look at all the different shapes, colours and textures you see.
- Collect materials to create your art. Depending on your location these might include pebbles, small rocks, shells, seaweed, driftwood, leaves fir cones, acorns, sticks, dandelions, daisies, leaves and anything else you come across.
- Find an interesting place to make your art.
- Look at the materials you have collected and let your imagination run free. Remember there are no rules in land art.
- Create some art
- If you have a camera with you take pictures to record your creations.
Although you will be working on this project together, I would strongly encourage you to let your children take the lead. Try to focus on the process rather than the end result. The most important thing is that you all have fun together and build happy memories.
I hope the photographs I have enclosed will provide lots of inspiration. I would also encourage you to visit the website Nature Whispering to look at their pictures.
[su_box title=”Are you looking for more activities to enjoy with your children?” style=”soft” box_color=”#9d2700″][su_column][/su_column]
Playing with your kids is a wonderful way to build strong family connections. My printable Play Activity Cards make it so easy. All the activities use things you already have and don’t need preparation, so you can start playing straight away. Download your set today.
Have you ever made any Land Art with your children? What materials did you use?