This Posts may contain affiliate links. This means we earn a commission from sales made via product links in this post. For more information click here.
My love for ice cream emerged at an early age – and has never left!” Ginger Rogers
I’m with Ginger Rogers! Ice cream is one of my guilty pleasures.
The cold creamy goodness carries all kinds of memories for me. It is the sound of the ice cream truck trundling around the neighborhood. It is the feel of the long, endless days of summer. It is the joy of being treated to a ice cream cone with a chocolate flake stuck in for good measure. YUM!
Now that the weather’s warming up it is time to bring out that frozen goodness! If you want to keep things super simple a trip to the grocery store will suffice.
On the other hand ice cream and other frozen treats are actually quite easy to make. They taste so much better than bought and you can control what goes in them. Here are seven great recipes for you to try this summer.
1. Let’s start with the basics. What could be better than chocolate ice cream? Caramel Potatoes has a recipe for an easy chocolate ice cream. Chocolate lovers rejoice!
2. But what if you are a dairy free or vegan household? No worries Minimalist Baker has a killer dairy free chocolate-chocolate-chip-blizzard made with coconut milk. Described as Mega chocolate-y this will satisfy your sweet tooth.
3. If you are looking for an alternative to ice cream these strawberry and lemonade popsicles could work. Made from fresh fruit they look really good.
4. It’s always nice to find some recipes that don’t require an ice cream maker. Just Us Four has an easy no churn ice cream that only has three ingredients.
5. Fudgsicles are one of those things associated with summertime. They are chocolate popsicles, with a fudgy chocolate flavor to them. Yum!
6. Here’s a fun activity. Have your kids make Ice cream in a bag. I’ve done this with groups of children and it’s always a popular activity. It’s also a cool (pun intended) way to see some science in action. Over the Moon has step by step instructions.
7. Last but not least these cool icy drinks are the perfect fun summer recipe for your kids.
Now if you want to do something a little special. Why not …..
Make Ice Cream a Special event
1. Set up an ice cream bar
Serve vanilla ice cream and let family members dress it up with multiple toppings. These could include
- Hot fudge sauce
- Caramel sauce
- Chocolate-covered candy
- Chocolate chips
- Toasted coconut
- Crushed cookies
2. Make An Enormous Banana Split
This is a fun activity for a large group. I’ve done this on several occasions and it was a lot of fun. Simply Seashell explains how to set up the ultimate banana split.
I’d love to hear from you. Are frozen treats part of your summer? What is your favorite kind?