This Posts may contain affiliate links. This means we earn a commission from sales made via product links in this post. For more information click here.
Get everyone into the holiday spirit with these fun Christmas activities for families. Includes crafts, decorations, DIY gifts, acts of kindness, fun Christmas games, crafts, and loads of free printables. Want to make memories that will last a lifetime? Click through for the best ideas on the web.
I love the holidays. Bring on cheesy music, The Muppet’s Christmas Carol, and eating way too much homemade Almond Roca.
The countdown to the holidays is the perfect time to enjoy some special Christmas activities with your family. Well it was in our house. Once I figured out how to simplify our holidays I finally had time to enjoy the days leading up to Christmas.
25 Christmas Activities For Families
- I love Christmas
- I want to see you having loads of fun with your kids
I’ve scoured the internet to find the best Christmas activities for families.
If you are feeling overwhelmed, It doesn’t really matter what you do as long as you do it together. If you are looking for really simple Christmas activities try these 24 Simple Christmas Traditions for Families.
Every year my boys and I would make ornaments together. It was a lovely afternoon activity and we still hang many of these decorations on our tree. The trick is to keep it simple. Try these
- Felt And Button Christmas Tree Ornament |Teaching 2 and 3 year olds
- Easy Kid Made Wreath Ornaments With Paper Straws |Projects with kids
- Pipe cleaner Christmas tree ornaments| Red Ted Art
- jingle bell wreath ornament | Jinxy Kids
- Cinnamon Stick Tree |Crafts Unleashed
Making gingerbread was one of our favorite Christmas activities. This is something that continued for many years, even when the boys grew older.
Sometimes we would have a party and each boy got to invite a friend. We used the recipe and instructions from Canadian Living Magazine. If you want to make things easy on yourself skip the gingerbread and use Graham Crackers or even pretzels.
For more reading: How To Host A Kid Friendly Gingerbread Decorating Party
Making gifts together is a wonderful Christmas activity. One year we made cinnamon sugar to give to the boy’s teachers. It is super easy to do and was very much appreciated by the recipients. You can find an easy recipe here.
For more ideas check out my Pinterest board
Gifts That Kids Can Make
Try some new Christmas Activities
Kids are always open to new ideas and activities. Try some of these
- Easy Christmas Elf Paper Puppet With Templates| Red Ted Art
Host a game night
I know this isn’t the most original idea. Still most kids love board games and the Christmas break is the perfect time to dig them out. Let each family member choose their favorite. Alternatively try some of these fun Christmas games
- Gingerbread Scavenger Hunt | Edventures with Kids
- Christmas I Spy Ornament Game| Joy in the Works
- Roll a Reindeer | Kiddy Charts
- Christmas Matching Game| Simple Everyday Mom
- Minute to Win It Christmas Games| The Chaos and the CLutter
- Pin The Star On The Tree |The Art Kit
- Christmas Bingo| Artsy Fartsy Mama
Do Something Kind
Christmas can so easily become a gimme holiday. Some simple acts of kindness help shift the focus from getting to giving. YES!
Check out these Christmas Acts of Kindness For Families
Have a Movie Night
- Something a little special: The Dating Divas have created a special movie night inspired by the movie The Polar Express—complete with (free!) printable “train tickets,” games, and yummy snacks and beverages. Get the details here.
- Make it super easy: Make some popcorn and put on your favorite holiday movies. Honestly your kids will enjoy it just the same either way.
Try some Christmas Inspired Playdoh
Grab/make some playdoh and a few supplies and let your kids go wild.
Make a Tree kit | A Dab of Glue Will Do
Reindeer Playdough |Picklebums
Invitation to Create a wreath| Fun Learning For Kids
Listen to a Christmas story at bedtime
Choose a Christmas audiobook and listen to it each night. My boys loved snuggling under blankets by the Christmas tree to hear the story.
Audio books are a busy parent’s best friend. Your kids get to hear a wonderful story and you get to relax by the twinkling lights of the tree and cuddle with your kids. FANTASTIC.
Bonus Activity: Make some really scrumptious hot chocolate or set up a hot chocolate bar. Get some AMAZING recipes here.
I’d love to hear from you
What is your favorite activity at this time of year? Do you have any fun Christmas activities for families? What special family traditions do you enjoy?
Looking for More Ideas?
Follow My Christmas Pinterest Board