When was the last time you held an impromptu dance party with your kids? Children have oodles of energy, so why not take advantage of it and build some memories? If you have had a hard day then a good song with a fast beat can quickly turn the mood around.
The best thing about this activity is that it is super easy to do. Just put on your favorite music, crank it up, and yell “dance party!” Invite everyone to shimmer and shake with you. You don’t have to impress anyone, so let go and show your kids some of your famous dance moves.
To help get you in the mood I went to some of my favorite writers and asked them what music got their family dancing. Together we’ve put together the ultimate list of family-friendly tunes to help kids AND parents rock out together. It’s time to kick up your heels and have some fun.
- Jen Burns from So They can Fly reports that her kids like Overtime by Cash Cash
- Natalie Alleblas from Unbusy Me said that she and her kids enjoy dancing and being silly to Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson & Bruno Mars! They’ve even made up a dance move that she does if her kids are throwing a tantrum and she needs to change the mood. Brilliant tip!
- Emma Craig from P is for Preschooler said that anything by the Wiggles is usually enough to get everyone up and moving! I chose the Shimmie Shake
- Liz Smith from The Connected Life observes that, “Spontaneous dance parties are a regular thing in our house.” Their song of choice was Happy by Pharrell Williams
- Author extraordinaire Kayla Thomas and her daughter enjoy dancing to “I Like To Move It” by Will.i.am
- Lisa Kiebe from Mummy 2 Mum added Mony Mony by Tommy James and the Shondells.
- Niki Morgan from Play and Learn Everyday added Firework by Katy Perry
- Of course I had to add a few songs. My suggestions are I’ve got a Feeling by the Black Eyed Peas, A Sky Full of Stars by Coldplay and of course Twist and Shout by the Beetles
For your convenience I have gathered these songs into a single Playlist on 8Tracks, so you can play it from your devices. You can find it here .