Spring seems to have arrived. The weather is getting warmer, the geese are returning, and the daffodils are pushing through the soil. We are trying not to get too excited, because we could still get a snow storm or two. Still it seems as if the long weeks of winter are behind us and we can enjoy the sweet bliss of going outside without dressing for Arctic survival.
Why not ditch your to do list for a while and head outdoors to enjoy these first warm spring days with your children? To help I’ve gathered 15 simple ways to enjoy the season and have fun together!
15 fun (and inexpensive) spring activities to enjoy with your kids
- Splash in puddles or dance in the rain.
- Make Eggheads. I loved making these when I was a kid.
- Encourage your family to watch out for the Spring Firsts with this free printable
- Put bean seeds in a resealable plastic bag with a folded wet paper towel. Tape the bags to a window and watch what happens. If you prefer not to use plastic bags you can do the same thing in a glass jar.
- Make mud pies, or put on old clothes and just play in the mud.
- Go hunting for tadpoles and maybe even watch them grow into frogs.
- Have a spring photo hunt.
- Fly a kite. You could head to the store and buy one, or try making one of your own.
- Make fairy houses.
- Make a butterfly feeder.
- Break out the skipping rope and sidewalk chalk. Teach your kids the skipping rhymes you used as a kid. Show them how to play hopscotch.
- Participate in a spring clean-up day in your local community. Volunteering together is a great way to connect with your while you give back to your community—win-win!
- Give your bicycles an annual tune up. Here’s a handy check list.
- Go on a spring scavenger hunt. To make things really easy use this free printable.
- Show your kids how rain forms with this easy science experiment.
Activities for those in the Southern Hemisphere
I know that my readers in the southern hemisphere are heading into fall right now. Here is a list of fun fall activities for you to enjoy with your family.
Now it is your turn. I’d love to hear from you. What is the weather like in your part of the world? What is your favorite spring activity?