Inside: The weather may be getting cooler, but there’s still lots of family fun to be had. Why not dig out your sweaters and head outdoors to enjoy those crisp fall days? Here’s some fabulous (yet simple) fall activities to enjoy with your kids.
This week I realized that the leaves are already turning.
What?? How can this be? It is only August.
Still even though I’m not ready Fall is definitely on the way. The hot days of summer may be behind us, but there’s still lots of fun to be had.
Why not dig out your sweaters and head outdoors to enjoy those crisp fall days? It is such a beautiful time of year and is perfect for outdoor adventures.
Today, I’d love to share 15 fun fall activities to help get you and your family outside.
Why not embrace the season and give some of them a try with your kids this year?
15 Awesome Outdoor Fall Activities Your Kids Will Love
- Go for a walk and collect leaves. What will you do with them? I found 9 fun projects that use leaves to get your creative juices going. Can you come up with your own ideas?
- Alternately create some beautiful land art using fall leaves and seeds.
- Plant bulbs for the spring and imagine how they will look.
- Go on a spider hunt and see how many cobwebs you can find. Carrots Are Orange has some great ideas to help you explore spider webs.
- Go apple picking and fill the house with the smells of scrumptious apple recipes.
- Make pictures from leaves and seeds. For inspiration take a look at Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert. It’s a fun book and the pictures are amazing. Check it out from the library or buy it here (affiliate link).
- Set a pumpkin outdoors and record the pumpkin’s decomposition as it rots. This has just the right ewww factor, so it’s sure to impress your children. Here’s one family’s record.
- If you have a garden then you probably have lots of yard work to do right now. Why not organize a family work party? Afterwards celebrate with hot chocolate and a treat of choice.
- Jump in Leaves – What could be simpler and more fun? Rake a bunch of leaves into a pile and dive in!
- Make a leaf labyrinth, or maze with some fallen leaves!
- Have one last campfire of the season. Some of the best memories are made around a campfire. Every November we would have a bonfire and my mom would give us sausages and baked potatoes to eat. I remember sitting by the fire and trying to eat them without burning my fingers. Here’s some recipes.
- Pack for a picnic and head outdoors! Bring along your family’s favorite on-the-go eats and a blanket for an afternoon of fun.
- Visit a Pumpkin Patch
- Challenge your children to catch a falling leaf. Did you know that you can make a wish every time you catch one?
- Head outside for a fall a scavenger hunt. Free printables make this an easy activity. Here’s a simple one for preschoolers. And something a little more challenging for older kids.
Fall is a wonderful season. There’s so much to explore and enjoy at this time of year. Head outdoors to enjoy those vibrant colors and discover amazing nature treasures. It is one of my favorite seasons to go outdoors with the kids. Do you have any favorite outdoor fall activities that you do with your kids? Please drop me a line in the comments!
Living in the Southern Hemisphere?
I know that my readers in the southern hemisphere are heading into spring right now. I hope that you will pin this post and save it for later. Meanwhile here are some simple spring activities you can enjoy.